CLOSED: EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Update (11/7/2017): The application period has closed. We are currently reviewing applications.
This part-time position will provide support to the Education and Outreach Team, which is responsible for a wide range of the District’s responsibilities including assisting with workshops, trainings, publications, website, displays, and events. Experience in education, graphic design, and writing is desired. The person in this position will report directly to the Education and Outreach Team Leader and administratively to the General Manager.
POSITION: Outreach Specialist
STARTING RATE: $17 – $21/hour dependent on qualifications
PART-TIME: 20 hours/week
ADDRESS: BSEACD, 1124 Regal Row, Austin, TX 78748
POSTING DATE: October 16, 2017
CLOSING DATE: November 6, 2017
OPTIMAL STARTING DATE: December 2017
SUMMARY OF TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF OUTREACH SPECIALIST:
- Work closely with staff to understand and appropriately address educational needs in the District’s jurisdiction, which may include using the following communication tools: workshops, publications, displays, online media and signage;
- Draft and design publications such as newsletter, technical publications, watering schedules, flyers, press releases, articles for neighborhood associations, etc.;
- Maintain and update relevant website content and social media communication;
- Facilitate and lead aquifer/water conservation education presentations for school and community groups.
- Assist with planning and hosting of the “Groundwater to the Gulf: Summer Institute for Central Texas Educators” with other Austin area water education non-profits and government entities;
- Help facilitate community events, such as booth outreach, creek cleanups, Water Well Checkup, Groundwater Stewardship Awards, and camp and college scholarship contests;
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS
- A Bachelors degree in communications, education, earth science, environmental science, geographic education, geography, or closely related field;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, organization skills, research skills, and public speaking skills (ideal candidate will be able to interact well with individuals and groups representing diverse public, personal, and professional interests); and
- A valid Texas driver’s license.
- Substantive knowledge and understanding of environmental issues, especially local water-related topics;
- Demonstrable experience in working with, coordinating, and/or leading volunteer groups; and
- Two to four years of relevant experience in teaching, environmental education, environmental interpretation, or training;
- Two to four years of experience writing, editing, and/or designing of communication pieces;
- Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, or similar programs;
- Master Naturalist/Gardener certification.
PHYSICAL AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
The Outreach Specialist must be able to work outside in all weather conditions and carry heavy equipment or supplies in excess of 50 lbs. The office work location is the District’s office in far south Austin, near Manchaca. The Specialist will have a routine weekly work schedule; however, occasionally substituting work outside the routine hours (such as after-hours or weekends) might be required. The routine work hours will be Monday – Thursday during regular business hours, and the scheduled hours can be adjusted once per 6-month period provided they allow the Specialist to perform essential duties and collaborate effectively.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The part-time position pays wages between $17 – $21 per hour for 20-24 hours a week (depending on qualifications). This position is not eligible for benefits.
Apply by Monday, November 6, 2017. Qualified and interested parties must submit a complete application package including:
- One-page cover letter describing in narrative form how they are a good fit for this position
- Online Applicant Information Form (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VYV8JZP)
Resumes and cover letters can be submitted via direct mail or email:
Attn: Robin Gary
1124 Regal Row
Austin, Texas 78748
email@example.com (with subject: Outreach Specialist Job Application)
Only complete application packages (including resume, cover letter and online Applicant Information Form) will be considered. A short list of candidates will be made and interviews held in November 2017. No phone calls, please.