Whether you are a permitted well owner, a customer or employee using groundwater provided by your water supply company or employer, or an individual well owner, we all share responsibility for the aquifer on which we all depend. Below are suggestions for ways to conserve water in and around your home.
- Perform a yearly home irrigation audit to fine-tune your irrigation system.
- Remove or pare down your turf grass and instead install native or adapted plants. They are suited to the climate of your area, and Texas natives generally need less water to thrive.
- If you water with a sprinkler system, make sure to audit your system regularly for leaks. In addition, install water-conserving devices like a rain shut-off device and/ or soil sensors.
- Cover swimming pools to reduce evaporation when not in use.
- Sweep sidewalks and driveways with a broom instead of using a hose. Use a spray nozzle on your hose to cut down on water waste.