The Barton Springs/Edwards Aquifer Conservation District (District) is pleased to announce the winners of the Aquatic Science Adventure Camp Scholarships for 2022! The applicants were required to submit an essay on why they wanted to attend camp, along with a one-page art entry that captured “Science and Adventure.” The District was able to award a full or partial scholarship to all ten applicants. We are so thrilled that they will get to attend the 2022 Edwards Aquifer Research and Data Center’s Aquatic Science Adventure Camp at Texas State University in San Marcos.
On behalf of the District, we want to thank the City of Austin/Austin Water for donating their 2022 conservation credit to the scholarship fund. Without generous donations, the scholarship program would not be a success. The camp is a wonderful educational opportunity for kids to see science in action. A total of $6,360 in scholarships were awarded.
“During the last two years of the pandemic, this camp experience was not an option. But, that did not stifle any creativity and curiosity in the submissions we received this year,” said District Board President Blayne Stansberry. “I am in awe of the amazing entries. This is a special group of kids and the District, with the generous help from Austin Water, are thrilled to be a part of encouraging their sense of adventure, conservation, and love of our natural resources. This group shows a brilliant confidence and will, without a doubt, reach their dreams. Dream big!”
Here are the 2022 Aquatic Science Adventure Camp Scholarship winners:
- Ryder Armstrong – Full Scholarship – Age 13 – Lively Middle School
- Johnpaul Garza – Full Scholarship – Age 10 – Bowie Elementary
- Olivia Schweke – Full Scholarship – Age 9 – Carpenter Hill Elementary
- Elizabeth Crunk – Full Scholarship – Age 13 – Gorzycki Middle School
- William Khazen – Partial Scholarship – Age 12 – AHB Community School
- Pepper Carlton – Partial Scholarship – Age 9 – Cunningham Elementary
- Ben Brewer – Partial Scholarship – Age 11 – Negley Elementary
- Caitlin Lowary – Partial Scholarship – Age 11 – Mills Elementary
- Jack Brewer – Partial Scholarship – Age 12 – Barton Middle School
- Noah Brewer – Partial Scholarship – Age 9 – Negley Elementary
You can check out the essay/art submissions here: Aquatic Camp Art/Essay Submissions